Basil, a well known and loved herb commonly used in Italian dishes.
- Basil stimulates the appetite and helps curb flatulence, perhaps the reason why it works so well with garlic. Try basil tea to reduce nausea or distress from bloating.
- For the most intense flavor, basil should be added at the end of the cooking process. Prolonged heat will cause basil’s volatile oils to dissipate.
- When substituting fresh basil for dried, triple the amount.
- Basil doesn’t like to be refrigerated. It will last the longest placed in a vase of water on your kitchen counter.
- You might want to try Summertime Bruschetta for an appetizer or salad accompaniment.