This is a wonderful breakfast dish, as well as dinner dish.
6 strips bacon, chopped
1 pound turnips, shredded
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper, plus more for the top
1 can coconut milk
2 leeks, sliced
pinch of nutmeg
4 scallions, sliced
6 – 9 baby bella mushrooms, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook bacon. Reserve the fat.
- Shred the turnips and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add bacon fat, sea salt, black pepper, coconut milk, leeks and nutmeg to turnips and mix to combine.
- Transfer turnip mixture to a 2 quart oblong baking pan.
- Scatter minced baby bellas followed by layer of scallions across top of turnip mixture.
- Scatter chopped bacon across the top for the final layer.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and bake for 45 – 60 minutes or until topping gets crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve as their will be quite a lot of liquid in the baking dish.
- Serve leftovers by reheating in skillet with melted butter.