1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, slivered
3/4 cup chicken broth
8 ounces fettuccine (plain, spinach, carrot, tomato, or a combination)
1 pound Swiss chard, rinsed, patted dry, stemmed, and shredded
1 tablespoon minced lemon zest
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated imported Parmesan
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a stockpot or a deep skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown; do not burn. Add the chicken broth and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
- When the pasta is added to the water, bring the chicken broth back to a boil. Add the chard, cover, and lower the heat slightly. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Drain the pasta and place it in a heated bowl. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, and toss gently. Pour the chicken-broth mixture over the pasta and toss again.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the Parmesan and parsley and divide among four heated plates.