Pre-heat oven: 375 degrees
2 Tbs. Virgin Olive Oil
3 Tbs. Butter
2 Lbs. Top Sirloin Steak, trimmed and cubed
Salt & Pepper
1 Large Onion, chopped
2 Med. Carrots, peeled and chopped
1 Lb. Turnip, peeled and chopped
6 Tbs. Flour
2 Cups Apple Cider
1/2 Cups Beef Consomme
3 Lbs. Potato, peeled and chopped
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
2 Cups White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
3 Tbs. Chives, chopped
- Place Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and butter.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add to pot, browning on all sides, about 6 – 8 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots and turnips. Cook 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add flour, stir to combine and coat.
- Add the apple cider and the beef consommé, stir to combine.
- Bring to boil, cover and place in oven for 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- About 45 minutes into cooking the beef, prepare the mashed potatoes.
- Cover with water by 1 – 2 inches, place on high. Add salt and pepper and boil about 15 minutes until tender.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, drain and return to pot.
- Add milk, sour cream and cheese. Mash to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, add chives. Cover and reserve until ready to serve.
- When beef is done remove from the oven.
Serving suggestions: Place a spoonful of mashed potatoes in a wide serving bowl. Make a well in the middle of the potatoes and spoon the beef into the center.