If you’re a basil lover, you will love this recipe for Fresh Basil Pesto. Not sure what to do with it when you make it . . . . . here are some ideas:
- Mix it with Mayonaise for sandwiches. Gives it a little Italian kick.
- Use it on pizza in place of pizza sauce. Try adding some herbed goat cheese or Chevre to the pizza as well.
- Add to pasta when making pasta salad or just as a side dish.
- Spread on toasted baguette slices and top with chopped tomato and onion for a quick appetizer.
- Spoon over baked potatoes.
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine the basil and pine nuts (or walnuts) in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse a few times. Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
This recipe can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.